Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Age of Not Believing

The title of this post comes from one of my favorite childhood movies, Bed Knobs and Broomsticks. And yet nothing further in this post will have anything to do with said favorite childhood film. What am I not believing you ask? Or perhaps, better yet, who is not believing? Well let me tell you! Everyone! That's who! Allow me to elaborate before you become altogether too confused and bored to continue reading.

I'm 23. Almost 24. College graduate. Recently employed. What does this mean professionally speaking? Absolutely nothing. The fact is that although I am no longer a college student and am seeking to establish myself professionally, no one professional actually takes me seriously because I'm 23, almost 24, and a recent college graduate. I have come to realize that I am stuck, yet again, in a period of life in which only certain people can identify with me. Maybe that's all life is. Maybe it's the reason why old people only hang out with old people. Or parents only hang out with other parents. I suppose it makes sense. But at the same time. I'm still miffed. I don't look at old people and think, "I can't identify with you do to your ridiculously large age." I seek to learn from anyone that will take the time to sit down and talk to me about what's going on in their own life and the questions they are asking.

I'm frustrated because I enjoyed college, but I am grateful that it is over. It was fun. I learned a lot, I practiced violin more than I ever thought I would, and now, I am working at a restaurant and hardly practicing violin at all, desperately trying to keep up both my French and German skills, and deciphering between grad school and seminary in France. All that aside, I think simply having the respect of other young professionals would aide me in my decision making process.

It really comes down to community. While at Hillsdale I had a great community of like-minded friends and believers who encouraged me and challenged me daily. Nowadays, I have to actively seek out anyone my age that lives near me and pray that they understand only a small portion of where my life is and can offer me at least some moral support.

Here's the thing. I had a great night tonight. I served Mayor Dave Bing and made a decent amount of money. I was able to get out of work a little after 10pm, which is shocking, and will hopefully be able to get a full night's sleep tonight to rest me to be able to work a double tomorrow.

But I had no one to share that with, besides you, dear reader, and look how faithful to you I have been. No one I could call and share my little victory with. Life simply continues, and no one knows the difference. I suppose perhaps I am simply saying, "Hey! Someone pay attention to me!" But I think it's more than that. I believe that life brings us various trials with the different stages that we go through as well, and I think this sentiment of loneliness is one of the greatest trials that I am dealing with at the moment. I know it's not forever. (Praise the Lord!) But the difficulty and question remains? How do I go forward? What is supposed to propel me forward into whatever stage might be next? These are the questions I am asking and seeking answers for. If you have any, let me know. Also, if you know of anyone who is around 23-30,Christian, and wants to live in the metro Detroit area, let me know, cause it would be great to get a roommate and move out of my parents house. And I know they would appreciate it too.

That is all for now. I will try to be more consistent in the future. We'll have to see if I am fortunate enough to be blessed with more evenings like this in the future. Ciao Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Ben! So glad to see you writing again. (We should also talk soon too).

    I empathize with your sentiments completely. Despite being here in graduate school, I'm still spending a significant amount of time wondering 1) if this is what I'm supposed to be doing and 2) what the heck am I going to do when I am done. It doesn't much help that the support system here is laughable in comparison to what we had at Hillsdale and I get the "oh, you go to church every week?" face a lot.

    As for the roommate thing, you wouldn't want to room with anyone that I know from home that I can think of off the top of my head. Blerg.

    ReplyDelete