Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Cardinall's Musick and Bad Wine

A few things to discuss this evening: Wine, Music, and Work.

I don't want to dwell too much on work on this blog, simply because I don't want it to become a means for me to complain about things that occur at the restaurant unless me recounting a story has some other redeeming purpose attached to it. 



That will not stop me from complaining though about how AWFUL the wine has been that I have been drinking lately. Maybe it's simply because I have been talking about great wines for the past 3 months at the restaurant and so it's caused a change in my palette. But I expect more out of my wine and the wine I've been drinking has just not met the standard. 

If you recall the last wine that I had talked about was a Chardonnay. It wasn't bad. But it really wasn't great either. The Pinot Grigio that I finished last night was intentionally not mentioned upon this blog because it really isn't worth mentioning besides to say that it paired very well with the Triple Layer Chocolate Mousse Cake that I brought home from the restaurant for my Mom for her 60th birthday last night. I have been saving a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc thinking that it would be the best of the three white wines I had left of the collection I had bought from WineInsiders. 

And the result....the worst of the three. It's pretty awful. Considering that Sauvignon Blanc is a more complex wine for a white. This is pretty lacking. Pretty much nothing on the nose and then it tastes like a buttery water when it's in your mouth followed by a few notes of citrus at the end. I'm sorry, but who designs a wine and says, "I want this to taste as if I had both butter and water in my mouth at the same time."? I'm sorry. NOBODY! That's an awful combination. I might have to just pour the bottle out and buy some vodka or something just to get the flavor of the wine out of my mouth and help me forget that this wine ever happened. *As I take another sip.* Nope....still pretty bad. Oh well. I am gonna finish the glass quickly and quietly and try and pretend like it never happened. 

Something I DO want to remember though is the CD I got in the mail today. For those who don't know, I am absolutely infatuated with Renaissance music. Anything by Willian Byrd, Palestrina, Josquin Du Prez, or Thomas Tallis I will pretty much love. It's just that great! The Tallis scholars have been one of my favorite groups to listen to because their harmonies are outstanding and their interpretation is light and true to the style of the period. 

Today I received my cd of  Allegri's Misere Mei Deus and The Early Music of Rome as sung by The Cardinall's Musick. For those who aren't familiar with the Cardinall's Musick, which I wouldn't blame you if you weren't, however, they were recently named by England's Gramaphone magazine to be the #3 choir in the world. In comparison, the Tallis Scholars were named #11. I thought to myself, there is no way that there are 10 choirs in the world that are better than the Tallis Scholars. Then I heard them sing. And I was BLOWN away. 

Their harmonies were even tighter than the Tallis Scholars and the richness of sound coming from the men in the choir was stunning in comparison with the Tallis Scholars. Just more power, better intonation, and stunning harmonic understanding. The only negative I can say about the first CD of theirs that I purchased was that the women on the CD were just not as strong as the men. The harmonies were still incredible, but it was something that I noticed every time I listened. The women for the Tallis Scholars were top notch, while the men for the Cardinall's Musick were top notch. Just a matter of preference I suppose. 

Well, boy have they fixed that problem on this latest cd. The cd features as it's feature work Gregorio Allegri's Misere Mei Deus which is one of the most famous Renaissance pieces out there. For those are relatively familiar with Renaissance music, it's the one that repeats five times and the soprano jumps up to a high C for each verse in stunning fashion. 

Now mind you, I have heard multiple recordings of this work with the soprano part being sung by both women and young boys, but none compare to the soprano the Cardinall's Musick has singing with them on this recording. It's really quite remarkable lately. I was listneing to it on my way home this evening from work and thinking to myself, "There's not way that is actually humanly possible!" Of course it's possible that they tampered with the sound in editing, but I don't think that is what has happened with this CD. I think the Cardinall's Musick has something remarkable happening with them and it's this. They are trying to use the unison sound of their voices to imitate an organ. Yes, an organ. I had never considered it before, but the organ has a very pure sound to it. It's often too much for my ears. Although I can appreciate the majesty of the instrument and historically the role that it has played in music, it's just a lot for me to handle. 

But when a choir is so in tune that they sound like an organ they are doing something truly incredible. They turn every piece they sing into an absolute musical gem. If you love the sound of early and Renaissance music, I highly encourage you to get this cd. It's absolutely wonderful! I look forward to listening to it every day going to and from work for the next few days and becoming more intimately acquainted with it. 

That's all I have for now. I suppose two posts in one day will hopefully make up for the lack of posts from some other days. Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment