Thursday, September 1, 2011

Work and Creativity


Dear Reader,

I am sorry I have been remiss in my writing for the past few days. My work schedule makes it so when I get a day off I try to visit with real people, as opposed to those virtual friends I hold so dear.

Last night, I finally finished the bottle of the River Crest Vintner’s Chardonnay that I had been working on for over a week. So glad that bottle is finally over.

I was glad that last night is over as well. As I have mentioned before, the restaurant industry can be tremendously inconsistent and the past two days have proven this. Tuesday was pretty slow until 9 o’clock when we had about 40 people come in totally unexpectedly. And last night we had over 200 people in the restaurant and yet I still didn’t get many covers.

It’s hard sometimes in the biz because everyone complains nonstop and therefore, I relate to everyone on these terms. We talk about how we didn’t get enough covers. Or a manager wasn’t there when we needed them, or a busser, or there weren’t enough napkins. There’s always something. And this is sadly how we all relate. It’s just a little sad to me sometimes. Of course it’s not the only way in which we relate. When we have a slow night we have an opportunity to talk about stuff going on in our minimal lives outside of the restaurant. In fact, we are talking about going to a Lion’s game when they play on Monday Night Football if we can get tickets. Not sure what the chances are, but it would be fun to go and watch the game and just hang out during a day when we aren’t all working.

In other news, I just finished a great book. It’s called A Quest For More by Paul David Tripp. This book’s premise is simply this. You have been designed by God for much more than your own life. Something greater and bigger than your own dreams and desires. He then talks about what this looks like in terms of kingdoms. When you live your life only for yourself and for your dreams and desires, you limit your satisfaction and contentment to your own life. Essentially it’s like a box and saying, “This box is my life. When I have accomplished these things, then my box will be complete and I will be happy and satisfied.”

What Paul Tripp does so well is to point out that this is instinctively what every single human does because of sin. And as a result we engage in warfare with God because God is inviting us into His Kingdom and we are settling for our own. We think that our kingdom goals and pursuits will satisfy us, when in reality, it will only leave us totally empty and searching even more fruitlessly.

In one of the chapters Tripp makes an incredible analogy to Jazz music. In Jazz music the musicians are given a set of rules and a key signature and a time signature. However, the notes are left totally up to their own creativity and how they respond to what the other musicians are doing. What’s amazing about this is that God’s plan for humanity works exactly the same way. He has given us the key and time signature and the framework that we can work with. But when everyone else is playing in E Major and you decide to start playing in A-Flat. Of course it’s not going to be pleasing to the ears. This is exactly what we do when we live outside of God’s Law. We typically view the laws that God has given us as a negative. As a set of rules constraining us. But do Jazz musicians get upset because they are playing in E Major? Of course not. It’s the music that they have been given and they will make the most of it that they can.

We don’t look at God’s Law as a means of creativity, but that’s exactly what it is. God has given us every opportunity to be as creative with giving, showing love and mercy, forgiveness as we can. It’s really amazing when you think about it in those terms.

I hope this encourages you. I will be back later with more about wine and other delicious things. But until then, rest in the creativity that God has allowed you to share with the world. Ciao!

3 comments:

  1. Have you heard the song "Kingdom" by Caedmon's Call? Should def give a listen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Ben, Frenchie, Hen, Bubbles, etc: so well-written and thought out! Love your blog here and your previous one highlighting your European adventures. Also wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed conversing with you, Bess, Aunt Deb, Simeon, etc at Rachel's grad party back on the 13th and would luv to do it again before heading off to grad school, though again don't recall now where u said you're going :-o Or worst case scenario, I or maybe even the whole S fam could come down to "visit" you at your current job, as all I am able to remember about this place is that it's a Brazilian steakhse with Texas un the name, so you may need to assist me (the old lady) with this part! Thanks again for sharing and am currently focused on being better able to share the Good News as well as being more loving and gracious (to the least of these, as I learned more about last night) since these are traits that don't come naturally to me. i would say that learning new languages and forms of technology and communicating are what come easiest to me! Take care, Yah bless and KIT ~ vms

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on the complaining front. It's completely like that in coffee shops and retail, too. In fact, the more I see of the world, the more I think It's just like that everywhere. Having worked in coffee shops/retail for seven years, though, I can tell you that a good attitude is really important. I used to think that if I wasn't all whiney and complaining, if I talked about the bright side of things, that my coworkers would think I was stuck up and not want to interact with me or work with me at all. But going out of your way to listen to other people complain, then responding with something like, "yeah, that sucks. At least, though..." (fill in the blank with something positive) really helps. People complain because they want to feel listened to. If you make a point of being a listener, they'll come back to you to talk again and again. That doesn't mean you can't complain. Goodness knows I still do. But I try to make it into a funny story, if possible. Like, "You'll never believe what just happened. I'm helping this guy by the salad bar, and he drooled on the floor. I guess we have his favorite dressing... at least I was able to dodge." Ending with humor and what I call "the at least" makes even complaining sound more optimistic. Also, another thing that helps is remembering your coworkers' pet peeves and trying to help them out.... like if a coworker is looking for the napkins, which are NOWHERE to be found, run to a manager or somebody who might know, get some napkins, then just drop them on a table or somewhere within her line of vision. She'll be so impressed that you went out of your way to help her with something that was frustrating her that you'll instantly become a favorite.

    I don't know how many of those you can apply to the restaurant industry, but in the coffee shop and retail worlds, those little tips have consistently labeled me "the sweetest person who works here."

    Good luck, Ben!

    ReplyDelete